Kruger National Park
The park was first proclaimed by the President of the South African Republic – Paul Kruger – in 1898 as the Sabie Game Reserve. President Paul Kruger first proposed the need to protect the animals of the area in 1884.
Only in 1927 did they start planning and building sand roads, at this stage the only form of transport was rail, ox wagons and donkeys. The tarring of road surfaces in the Kruger Park had to wait until 1965. Today there are more than 850 km (531miles) of tarred roads in the park, besides 1,444 km (900 miles) gravel roads and more than 4,200 km (2,630 miles) of fire breaks. Picnic spots were not fenced and people had to build a camp.
Kruger National Park is one of the largest game reserves in Africa. It covers an area of 19,485 square km (7,523 square miles). The Kruger National Park is comparable in size to the whole of Wales, Israel or Massachusetts.
The park offers incomparable game viewing, with 145 animal species, 110 reptile species and more than 500 bird species occurring in the area. Not only the Big 5, but also the Little Five – Buffalo Weaver, Elephant Shrew, Leopard Tortoise, Ant Lion and Rhino Beetle – is a sight to see during your visit.
Kruger National Park is South Africa’s most valuable tourist asset! Wild Game Safaris is less than 2 hours from Kruger Park.